Your oral health includes more than just caring for your teeth. This is because your teeth are held up by important structures, including your gums. Healthy gums are pink and firm. This is achieved by a consistent daily oral care routine and regular dental visits. Proper brushing is a critical part of caring for your gums. Below, you will find how to best brush your gums and ensure your gum health stays in good shape.
How to best brush your gums
Your gums are an integral part of your oral health. Caring for them involves a consistent daily oral care routine and regular dental visits. Brushing and flossing can strengthen and protect your gums. However, many people do not know how to properly brush their gums. Proper brushing includes using the right angle and motion.
When brushing your teeth, hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle. This allows the bristles to get under your gums and remove harmful bacteria. In addition to the angle, use soft and gentle circular motions when you brush. This ensures that you get into all of the hard-to-reach places around your teeth and gums.
Caring For Your Gums
Caring for your gums can improve your long-term oral health. Consider the following ways you can keep your gums healthy.
- Proper Brushing: Properly brushing your gums is critical in protecting them.
- Flossing: Flossing at least once a day can remove harmful bacteria missed while brushing.
- Regular Dental Checkups: Visiting the dentist at least every six months is a helpful preventive measure for your oral health.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking and using tobacco products have a negative impact on your gums and oral health overall.
- Healthy Diet: Eating a balanced diet and avoiding sugar and other processed foods is necessary for your gum health
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking water maintains your gum health by flushing away harmful bacteria.
- Manage Your Mental Health: Stress and anxiety can contribute to gum disease, so it’s important to manage your mental health and wellness.
- Address Grinding: If you grind your teeth, talk with your dentist about getting a mouthguard
Gum Health Risks
Not caring for your gums can result in serious oral health issues. Gum disease is a common but preventable oral health issue. The early stages of gum disease are characterized by the presence of gingivitis. Gingivitis can develop into gum disease if left untreated. This can lead to serious oral health issues, including loose teeth, gum recession, and tooth loss. Common symptoms of gum disease include redness, tenderness, and bleeding gums. If you notice the symptoms of gum disease, seek treatment from a family dentist right away.
Early intervention is key when it comes to gum disease. However, it’s important to seek treatment at any stage. Avoiding the dentist will only lead to further oral health issues. There are a number of ways to address gum disease. Periodontal treatment is highly effective and can ensure that your oral health stays in good shape. The type of treatment depends on the severity of your gum disease, your symptoms, and the state of your oral health. Common treatments include scaling and root planing, laser therapy, and consistent maintenance and follow-up treatments. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary. A skilled dentist can diagnose and effectively treat your gum disease.
Encino Family Dental
If you are concerned about your oral health or think you have gum disease, it’s important to contact a dentist right away. The team at Encino Family Dental is skilled in several dental treatments. They offer preventative, cosmetic, and emergency dental services. Contact their team today to schedule an appointment!